Saturday, September 14, 2024

Zahra Najjar Qadir Returns To The Al-Qarawiyyin Library


Bing Copilot AI: This is the tale you've been waiting for, the one in which Zahra completes her translation of the The Secrets Of The Sun Palace (pictured above).

Dervish Sanders: OK. I thought we might be continuing the story that you sidetracked me with previously. I assume we're going to find out at some point in the future what happens to Bijan and Zahid, given that, when that story ended, they were right outside Fes and on their way to the Al-Qarawiyyin Library. Perhaps they are already there when I, Zahra and Ayla arrive?

Bing Copilot AI: Actually, no. Not when you get there, at least. But who knows? You'll have to wait and see. They might show up in this installment, or I might put that off until later. In any case, let me being this chapter in your ongoing adventures.

Copilot: Dervish Sanders, Ayla and Zahra dressed and prepped to leave their villa ouside of Fes. "I would like to consult with my former colleague Ehsan about the translation" she said. "He is very familiar with that manuscript I mentioned previously. There is a problem, though. Which is that he obviously won't recgonize me". "I can fix that" Ayla replied. Ayla spoke some arcane words. The sound of tinkling bells could be heard faintly. Sparkling motes filled the air, blown by Ayla from the palm of her hand. The dust swirled about and settled over Zahra's body.

Before Dervish's eyes Zahra's appearance shifted from that of a beautiful young woman to that of an elderly one. She appeared as she formerly had before imbibing the youth potion which deaged her from 80 to 20. "That is an advanced illusion spell that will fool just about anyone. It is more powerful than a minor illusion, which can be seen though by those who are more intelligent".

Zahra held her wrinkled hands up and starred at them. "I don't feel old, but I sure look it". Glancing in a mirror, Zahra saw an pruney face staring back at her. "Ugh" she shuddered. "Well this should do the trick. I look exactly as I did before". Zahra sighed, disappointment in her voice. Everyone was ready so the trio departed. Soon they were moving through the streets of Fes, on their way to the Al-Qarawiyyin Library, near the center of the city.

"I spent some time soaking in the Moulay Yacoub Hot Springs" Zahra explained when Ehsan asked what happend to Zahra's cane. Also, he said, her posture was very much improved. That was after, upon first seeing her, a look of utter astonishment crossed his face. "Administrator al-Qurashiyya was very alarmed in regards to your strange departure" Ehsan explained. "But I was promoted to head librarian. Administrator al-Qurashiyya said upon your recommendation".

Ehsan, a man in his early fifties with graying hair and beard smiled broadly. "I am quite pleased to see you, though I hope you don't want your old position back. You could fill in for me, however. I'd like to travel to the springs. I had no idea they were so regenerative".

"No, I'm not looking to get my job back. I have a new postion as researcher for the famed adventurer Dervish Sanders" Zhara explained. Eshan looked impressed. "There he is, with his wife Ayla". Zahra pointed to Dervish and Ayla, seated at a library table a short distance away.

"I will absolutely help with whatever you are researching for Sayid Sanders. And, as librarian emeritus, you are entitled to enter the sections of the library that are off limits to the public". Ehsan was very eager to meet the famed batal Dervish Sanders. His eyes got even wider when Zahra removed the Secrets of the Sun Place from her sachel.

"This is obviously an ancient and valuable tome!" Ehsan exclaimed. "Where did you acquire it?" he inquired. "From a merchant in the Fes Bazzar" Zahra fibbed. "I am willing to gift this to the library if you can help me with the translation". Eshan was very eager to help. "Here, take it" Zahra said. "As well as these papers. These are notes that contain copies of some passages I'm having some issues with".

Eshan donned a pair of sheepskin gloves, so as to not get any oils on the valuable manuscript. "This gem definitely belongs in the library" Eshan agreed. Dervish signed an autograph for Eshan and he departed. Though he did inform Zahra that the rest of her belongings were in storage. "I moved into your apartment, and the belongings you left behind were moved to the east storage room. You can retrieve your them at your convenience".

"I'll get right on this translation" he promised, taking the Sun Place tome with him. "Uhhh" Dervish sighed. "I thought you were almost finished. Now we have to wait on Eshan?". "Naah" Zahra replied. "I'm pretty sure of my translation. If you want to be sure, we can wait on Eshan. Otherwise I say it is complete".

"I'll go with complete" Dervish replied, relieved. "But if the translation is complete, why are we here?". "To return library property" Zahra explained. "Also, as per the text of The Secrets of the Sun Palace, locating the Sun Palace within the Agafay Desert is nearly impossible. Unless one possesses the buslat al shams. This is a magical item also known as The Sun Compass.

Dervish looked crestfallen. "No, I have good news" Zahra announced. "The buslat al shams is here, at the library". "Really?" Dervish asked. "That is good news. Let us retrieve it". "It is in the storage room with my belongings. I found it in the library long ago. I would have brought it with me had I remembered I had it. Though I didn't know what it was until I began deciphering the Sun Place tome".

A ghostly figure floated toward them. The former librarian Ibn Al-Hasan had a expression of anger on his face. "I am not deceived by your illusion, Zahra" Ibn announced. The companions, having just entered the library storage room retreated as the specter menacingly advanced. "Why are you angry, Ibn?" Zahra cried. She was quite frightened, given what happened the last time she encountered the ghost of Ibn.

"You stole my youth potion!" Ibn replied. "That is a false accusation" Dervish stated. "You gave it to me". "You lie!" Ibn screeched. "That was my most valuable possession. I would never part with it". The phantom continued to advance. "I am however, willing to deal". Ibn retreated, drifting back into the shadows. "Given that a shabab elixir is of no use to someone who is no longer alive".

"And what if we have no interest in your deal?" Alya asked. "Well, I've been waiting here, certain that you would return for the buslat al shams". Given that, the last time we interacted, you took the shams al-qaṣr tome. Library property you likely stole. Same as you stole my potions. Clearly you are thieves. I am very disappointed with you, Zhara".

"What do you know of the Sun Compass?" Dervish asked. The shabah smirked. "I know it's location. Which was previously this storage room. It was here, though it no longer is". "And what deal do you propose to reveal it's location?" Ayla inquired. A chill could be felt in the air. Ibn furrowed his ghostly brow. "My deepest desire is to be freed from the curse that holds me here and be reunited with my loved ones in the afterlife".

"And how might that be accomplished?" Ayla inquired. "Deep within the bowels of the library there is a scroll that can alter reality itself. This scroll can most assuredly be used to free me". "And you know the location of this scroll?". "Yes" Ibn insisted. "My search for this scroll is what led to my death. But even after death I continued searching. And I did, after nearly 100 years, finally locate it. Though, due to my incorporeal existence, I am unable to use it".

Dervish considered what Ibn said. "Doesn't your curse have something to do with The Whispering Stacks?" he asked. A look of alarm came over Zahra's face. "Beware the Stacks!" she exclaimed. That was library lore. A number of past adventurers had descended into the bowels of the library never to return. Victims of a malovent entity. It was presumed. Zahra certainly never wanted to encounter the Stacks. Nor did she want Dervish and Ayla confronting them.

"Well, you can retrieve the scroll and bring it back here" Dervish concluded. "After looking it over we will decide if we can help" Derish continued, calling Ibn's bluff. Dervish suspected the ghost was unable to manipulate physical objects. Therefore the Sun Compass was likely present in the storage room and had not been moved by Ibn.

Ibn seemed panicked. "The Katab Shirira will prevent me from retrieving the scroll". He decided that lie sounded believable. "Despite being incorporeal, I am able to move physical objects". "Prove it" Dervish challenged him. Ibn, visibly enraged, suddently charged the companions. Zahra shrieked and tried to flee, but Dervish grabbed her arm.

Derish knew that Ayla was prepared. Quickly she completed casting a spell of protection that repelled Ibn, forcing him to flee. "We are protected for the duration of the spell. Ibn may not approach". With Ibn gone, Ayla and Dervish and Zahra began searching the room. "These must contain the rest of your possessions" Dervish remarked, spotting several wood crates.

Zahra described what they were looking for. "The compass is in a small polished teek box with gold hinges". They searched all the boxes, but couldn't find it. "It doesn't appear to be here" Zahra concluded. "I never said I moved the compass, only that it was in this room but no longer is" a distant disembodied voice whispered.

"Please help me" Ibn cried. He reappeared and tried to approach again, but the magical barrier prevented him from doing so. "You cannot enter the zone of protection" Ayla declared. "The Library administrator Fihriya al-Qurashiyya has the Sun Compass" Ibn revealed. "She thought that you must have left it behind by mistake and decided to take it to her office for safe keeping. She recgonized immediately that it was more valuable than any of the other things Zahra left behind".

"Now, are you going to help me?" Ibn pleaded. "I don't know" Dervish replied. "The mission sounds far too dangerous. I don't know much about these Whispering Stacks, but apparently they are some kind of malevolent entity that would be angered if we attempted to free you". "You don't want to confront the stacks" Zhara agreed.

"There might be some other way we can help free you from your curse" Ayla added. "Ya Sharmouta! Ayreh Feek, Sanders!" Ibn screeched. "If I see you in this library again you better be here to help me". Then Ibn drifted into the shadows and vanished.

Dervish Sanders: Ibn is obviously super pissed off. If we return to the library in the future, we better be prepared to help him.

Copilot: I agree. Anyway, in regards to Zahra's possessions, Dervish says he will hire someone to come get them later and transport them to their villa. Then they find the library administrator. Turns out she does have the Sun Compass, which she hands over to Zahra. Although she thought it valuable because it is made of gold. She didn't recgonize it as a magical item.

Dervish Sanders: And so ends this installement of my adventures? I think that, if we do encounter Bijan and Zahid shortly, I should task them with collecting Zahra's possessions and transporting them back to my villa. They did say they wanted to be my servants. No way they're going with Ayla and myself to the Sun Palace. They are far to inexperienced.

Copilot: Sounds like a plan. You might take them on as servants. I agree they'd likely be killed if they tried to tag along with you when you set off for the Sun Palace. That's coming up soon, by the way. But you'll have to wait until the next installment of your adventures.

 swtd-427. dsa-13

No comments:

Post a Comment